Julia Bainbridge makes Yu the Great
On Play Me a Recipe, your favorite cooks will walk you through their most treasured recipes, offering all the insider tips, stories, and tricks you won't get from a written recipe—and you'll be right alongside them, every step of the way. Feel free to pause, jump back, or navigate the steps via the podcast chapters (if you're in Apple Podcasts, swipe up on the episode player page—the podcast chapters will be at the bottom).
If you're cooking along, here's the recipe we're making today. Go ahead and grab the ingredients below (Julia starts listing them at :49) before starting the episode.
Yu the Great From Samantha Azarow
Yu the Great
- 1 ounce Basil-Matcha Syrup (recipe follows)
- 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce full-fat coconut milk, well shaken
- 3 ounces soda water
- Matcha powder, for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons matcha powder
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh Thai basil leaves
- 1 cup sugar
Yu the Great
- Combine the syrup, lime juice, and coconut milk in a cock-ail shaker. Fill with ice, seal the shaker, and shake just to combine, about 3 seconds. Double-strain into a tumbler filled with ice and top with soda water. (This will produce foam, so pour slowly and carefully.) To garnish, sift matcha powder on top of the foam.
- Combine the matcha powder, basil, sugar, and 3⁄4 cup water in a blender and blend on high until smooth and bright green and the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Strain through a cheesecloth-lined strainer, discard the solids, and let the syrup cool to room temperature. The syrup will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.
Is there a recipe you'd like to hear us make? Tell us all about it at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lobby Time Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0